Program Assistant, Early Childhood

Full time, permanent 

Washington, DC (Chinatown) 

 

DC Action for Children is seeking a full-time Program Associate to support our Early Childhood priority area. The ideal candidate will have an interest in public policy, maternal/child health, and education. About 60 percent of time will be spent advancing the goals of the city’s Home Visiting Council, which DC Action for Children chairs.  The remaining 40 percent of time will be spent on our other early childhood campaigns. The Program Associate reports to the Director of Early Childhood.  

 

ABOUT DC ACTION FOR CHILDREN 

We're shaping fair and equitable public policy for all of DC's children and youth to grow up safe, resilient, powerful, and heard.   

DC Action for Children was founded in 1992 by six women concerned about the deteriorating conditions for children in the city. Together, they established a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization and independent voice for kids to advance public policies that improve the well-being of children, especially those most affected by poverty and racism.  

With the support of individuals and private foundations, DC Action for Children uses research, data, and a focus on race equity to break down barriers that stand in the way of all kids reaching their full potential. Our collaborative advocacy campaigns empower young people and all residents to raise their voices to create change. 

 

YOU’LL GAIN EXPERIENCE IN… 

  • Coalition building 

  • Managing a project from start to finish 

  • Policy analysis 

  • Writing for policy and advocacy  

  • Understanding of early childhood policy 

 

YOUR DAY-TO-DAY ACTIVITIES… 

  • Provide assistance in managing the Home Visiting Council’s committee projects as delegated by the Director of Early Childhood 

  • Support the Home Visiting Council with meeting schedules and logistics, correspondence, and follow-up 

  • Develop meeting materials, fact sheets, issue briefs, and reports, as needed 

  • Assist with communicating the need for, participation in, and value of home visiting, via DC Action’s e-newsletters, website, and social media channels 

  • Draft opinion editorials, articles and blogs about the need, participation and value of home visiting 

  • Attend conferences, webinars and other seminars about early learning and home visiting for professional development 

  • Support Director of Early Childhood in other early care and learning campaigns.  

  • Perform other duties as needed and assigned by the Director of Early Childhood or Executive Director.  

 

WE ARE LOOKING FOR SOMEONE WHO…  

  • Earned a Bachelor’s degree in public policy, communications, psychology or a related field and two years of professional work experience OR if didn’t earn or complete a degree, we will consider four to six years of experience in public policy. 

  • Has a commitment to social justice and race equity 

  • Is self-motivated, has a self-starting work style 

  • Feels comfortable with MS Office software, including Excel and Access 

  • Has strong oral and written communication and interpersonal skills 

  • Boasts their ability to be detail-oriented and independent, with the ability to work on multiple projects under tight timelines 

  • Can complete tasks in a timely manner 

  • Prides themselves on establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with colleagues and partner organizations 

  • Thrives in working in a small, fast-paced, equity-focused organization committed to the well-being of children and youth 

 

COMPENSATION 

The salary range for this position is $50,000-$55,000, commensurate with qualifications and experience. DC Action for Children offers a generous benefit package, a great team and working environment committed to fostering staff growth and leadership. 

 

HOW TO APPLY  

To apply, please complete the DC Action for Children Job Application Form along with your resume and two writing samples, one formal and one informal.

This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls please.   

DC Action for Children recognizes and honors diversity in race, ethnicity, culture, age, abilities, gender, sexual orientation, and places where people live. We seek to reflect this diversity in all aspects of our work, including the composition of our board, staff, and volunteers. Further, DC Action for Children seeks to be a multicultural and culturally competent organization that works for equity among all people. We strongly encourage applications from people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, people with disabilities, members of the LGBTQ community and other underrepresented and historically marginalized groups. 

Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from DC Action for Children.