Community Organizer, Under 3 DC
Full time, permanent
Washington, DC - Remote
The ideal candidate is fully fluent in verbal and written Spanish
ABOUT DC ACTION FOR CHILDREN
We're shaping fair and equitable public policy so that all of DC's children and youth grow up safe, resilient, powerful, and heard.
DC Action for Children was founded in 1992 by six women concerned about the deteriorating conditions for children in the city. Together, they established a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization and transformed it into an independent voice for kids, to advance public policies that improve their well-being, especially those most affected by poverty and racism.
With the support of individuals and private foundations, DC Action for Children uses research, data, and a focus on race equity to break down barriers that stand in the way of all kids reaching their full potential. Our collaborative advocacy campaigns empower young people and all residents to raise their voices to create change.
DC Action is seeking a talented full-time Community Organizer to continue building and mobilizing our constituency for kids to win local issue campaigns. The Community Organizer’s primary responsibility will be to work on our signature campaign, Under 3 DC, to ensure implementation of universal access to quality childcare, health, and support services for all DC children ages zero to three, plus higher wages for early childhood educators.
All children deserve a strong beginning and a limitless future. Under 3 DC harnesses the voice and power of expectant parents and families with very young children, and others to create social change. Our efforts center on families experiencing racial and economic injustice. We shine a spotlight on the need for more public investments for families with infants and toddlers. Together, we can set the city on a path to create and sustain a high-quality, equitable early childhood system. Read more about Under 3 DC. The Organizer will also support and help lead DC Action’s other organizing work.
The ideal candidate will possess effective listening and conflict management skills. It’s important that the candidate excel at building relationships and working with a team to make an impact. They will be committed to getting results in a fast-paced environment and able to handle a heavy workload without dropping the ball. This position reports to the Under 3 DC Coalition Director.
YOUR DAY-TO-DAY ACTIVITIES:
- Partner with volunteer leaders to plan and lead our campaign work including developing campaign strategy; planning campaign actions, events, and meetings; and working with community allies and organizations.
- Continue to expand Under 3 DC’s base of volunteer leaders and supporters.
- Support and train active leaders and community members to successfully take on increasing leadership roles, own their pieces of the work, and feel connected with Under 3 DC as a whole.
- Represent Under 3 DC in coalitions and play a leadership role in them when called upon.
- Build new and maintain existing relationships with allies, organizational partners, and elected leaders.
- Execute Under 3 DC’s learning series and community building programs; facilitating and presenting at large and small meetings as needed.
- Collaborate with communications staff to create content for Under 3 DC’s social media and web presence.
- Input data into EveryAction; and other duties as assigned.
WE’RE LOOKING FOR SOMEONE WHO HAS...
DC Action for Children seeks candidates who are results-oriented, excel at building relationships, and have demonstrated success with making thoughtful strategic decisions and managing complex projects while attentive to details and process.
The Community Organizer will have:
- At least 2 years of professional and/or volunteer experience in community organizing, issue advocacy, and/or election campaigns.
- Full language fluency (verbal and written) in Spanish.
- A strong commitment to anti-racist principles and applies them on a daily basis.
- Proven success building a base to support a cause.
- A demonstrated ability to break down large projects into smaller tasks to be distributed to multiple leaders who feel ownership over their effort.
- Experience producing expository and persuasive content, especially in a community organizing and advocacy context.
- An ability to re-prioritize as coalition goals and strategies shift or evolve; and a willingness to work nights and weekends.
The salary range for this position is $45,000-$55,000, commensurate with qualifications and experience. DC Action for Children offers a generous benefit package, a great team, and a working environment committed to fostering staff growth and leadership.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please complete the Community Organizer Job Application and upload your resume along with two writing samples.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls please.
DC Action for Children recognizes and honors diversity in race, ethnicity, culture, age, abilities, gender, sexual orientation, and places where people live. We seek to reflect this diversity in all aspects of our work, including the composition of our board, staff, and volunteers. Further, DC Action for Children seeks to be a multicultural and culturally competent organization that works for equity among all people. We strongly encourage applications from people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, people with disabilities, members of the LGBTQ community and other underrepresented and historically marginalized groups.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from DC Action for Children.