Invest in the Future of DC Children
Dear Friend of DC Action for Children:
As a parent, I am heartbroken because far too many children in DC will struggle this holiday season. Our innovative DC KIDS COUNT Data Tool and the KIDS COUNT Data Center paint a stark picture of how many children live in poverty across the District:
- 40% of DC children’s parents lack secure employment;
- 40% of DC children and their families receive public assistance such as SNAP, SSI and TANF; and
- 36% of DC children live in households with a high housing cost burden.
We know that the environments children grow up in can have profound effects on their development and learning. With nearly 1 in 4 children living in poverty, what occurs outside the classroom is equally important as what occurs inside the classroom. Financial hardships facing many families make it difficult for parents and caregivers to provide the resources needed for our city’s children to succeed in school and in life.
DC Action for Children provides actionable data and policy leadership so that ALL DC children, especially the 30,000 living in poverty, have the opportunity to reach their full potential. This past year, we worked tirelessly to:
- Create a policy agenda that promotes innovative, evidence-based strategies to improve outcomes for children in early care and education programming;
- Understand the landscape of school health services for school-aged children; and
- Advocate for policies that promote family economic well-being.
But there is still more work to be done.
We have an ambitious goal for 2017 and beyond: together, we want to work with you to create a city in which a child’s success is not determined by his or her ZIP code. Rather, we envision a city where ALL children have the access to the quality education, health and family support services that they need to thrive.
With your support, we are embarking on a very ambitious 2017 annual campaign: Friends of DC Action for Children. Our goal is to raise $25,000 this giving season to ensure that DC’s children grow up healthy and ready to learn and thrive.
Our growth and success thus far has been made possible by our many friends, like you, who make giving to DC Action a priority. And that is why we are asking once again for your support.
Your gift of $25, $50, $100 or $500 to DC Action will make it possible for us to:
- Maintain and expand DC KIDS COUNT — which has already emerged as the “go-to” data source for public officials, parents and other stakeholders who make key decisions that affect our children.
- Advocate on behalf of children and youth from all neighborhoods in DC who cannot advocate for themselves.
- Elevate, strengthen and sustain critical children’s programs in DC through our policy expertise and technical assistance.
Please consider donating online or mailing a check to DC Action for Children, 1432 K Street, NW Suite 1050, Washington, DC 20005.
Together we can create a brighter future in which ALL children and youth have the resources they need to succeed.
Thank you for investing in DC’s children.
HyeSook Chung and the entire DC Action team